Healthy start helps families claiming certain benefits to buy healthy food and milk from the 10th week of pregnancy until your child’s 4th birthday. If you are under 18 and pregnant, you are automatically eligible, regardless of your benefit status.
How do I receive a Healthy Start card?
You will be sent a Healthy Start card with money on it that you can use in supermarkets and other grocery stores to buy healthy food, milk, or first infant formula. The card is topped up every four weeks.
Do you offer vitamins?
In Tower Hamlets, all children under the age of four and all pregnant and breastfeeding women, and up to one year post-natal are eligible for free Healthy Start vitamins. These can be collected from your local Children and Family Centres. You must bring your Heathy Start card if you have one or when you get one.
Find your nearest centre
How do you apply for a Healthy Start Card?
To apply for a Healthy Start Card, simply visit the NHS Healthy Start website if you are:
- On Universal Credit and Household’s monthly ‘take home pay’ is £408 from employment
- Receiving Child Tax Credit and household annual income is less than £16190
- Receiving Child Tax Credit and child(ren) under the age of four.
- Pregnant and under 18 (not on benefits)
- Receiving Child Tax Credit and child(ren) over the age of four
- Receiving Income Related Employment & Support Allowance
- Receiving Income-based Jobseeker’s allowance
- Receiving Pension Credit (including Child Addition)
- Receiving Working Tax Credit run-on.
You can also visit your Children Family Centre to help you apply.
Find out more