About Tower Hamlets Health Visiting
The service is made up of four teams divided into the four geographical localities of the borough. The teams are aligned to local Children and Family Centres and GP surgery networks.
- Health Visiting North West Locality: Networks 1 & 2 and Children & Family Centres Mowlem, Meath Gardens and Collingwood.
- Health Visiting North East Locality: Networks 5 & 6 and Children & Family Centres Mile End, Marner, Overland and Olga.
- Health Visiting South West Locality: Network 9 and Children & Family Centres Wapping, John Smith and Ocean.
- Health Visiting South East Locality: Networks 7 & 8 Children & Family Centres Isle of Dogs, Chrisp Street and Around Poplar.
How to contact us
You can contact our service via the 0-19 Single Point of Access from Monday – Friday (except Bank Holidays) between 9am and 5pm.
Telephone: 020 4551 1414
You can request to speak to our Duty Health Visitor if you require any advice or support for you or your child’s health, development and wellbeing.
Please note if you or your child are acutely unwell, please contact your GP, NHS 111 or the Emergency Services as necessary.
When will you see us?
We offer you and your child six universal health and developmental appointments as part of the Department of Health “Healthy Child Programme”.
We will see you in your home or in a clinic setting:
- Antenatal Contact: This visit will be offered from 28 weeks. At this contact, we will discuss the role of the health visitor and ask about how your pregnancy is going. In most cases, this will be a virtual contact, however, in some cases this will be a face-to-face contact.
- New Birth Visit: This visit will be offered between 10 and 14 days at your home address. The health visitor will check with you and your baby, they will cover topics such as feeding, sleeping, safety, coping with becoming a parent or welcoming the addition to your family. They will also check with you about your physical and mental wellbeing.
- 6–8-week check: This check is with the health visitor and different to the 6 weeks check you have with your GP. The health visitor will discuss your wellbeing, how baby is feeding and other topics such as immunisation.
- 3–4-month check: This follow up check will be with either the health visitor or one of our community staff nurses, they will discuss your child's development, and health promotion topics for you and your baby.
- 8–12-month check: This is baby's next developmental check and will either be at home or one of our aligned children's centres. It will be facilitated by members of the team and will look at baby's development, how to encourage development as well as offering health promotion for you and your baby.
- 2-2.5-year check: Your little one is now a toddler developing and discovering the world. This developmental check helps you to ensure that your toddler is starting to become school ready. The member of the health visiting team will discuss development, home safety, and health promotion for you and your little one.
All our healthy child clinics are currently by appointment only. Please contact us on Telephone 020 4551 1414 if you want to book an appointment to have your child weighed at your nearest clinic.